Monday, March 30, 2009

Sweet, Sweet Maria's

I'm ashamed of how long it's been since I've visited Sweet Maria's to buy my green beans for roasting. I've gotten lazy and have been buying my green coffee (of relatively unknown origin) from The Roasting Plant around the corner from my apartment for months.

Given all my talk about origin on this blog lately, I figured it was a bit hypocritical of me to keep buying and roasting "Ethiopian Yirgacheffe" that I knew nothing about -- despite repeated requests for additional information on origin.

So I visited the standard source for any serious home coffee roaster, Sweet Maria's. Not only is their selection amazing, but their site is packed full of information (although even they admit it's a little hard to navigate).

Here are the three coffees I purchased. The link for each brings you to a page with everything you would ever want to know about the coffee including the farm, processing method and cupping score.

El Salvador Pulp Natural Finca Mauritania


Brazil Moreninha Formosa Raisin Coffee MicroLot

Ethiopia Organic Dry-Process Birbissa

While I'm eager to try all of these, I'm particularly interested in the Brazil since it is tree dried, a process which is new to me.

I'll post more on each once I've roasted and tasted them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andre,

    I work for Oren's Daily Roast and I notice you list us on your blog. Thanks so much for the link.

    We have some great new coffees; If you like dry-processed Africans, then we have a great Ethiopia Sidamo for you from Operation Red Cherry.
    I also have a Brazil Cerrado from El Dattera.
    And we have an excellent Guatemala Amititlan Finca El Colmenar.

    If you'd like I can send you some samples of these. Please let me know if you'd like them green or roasted.

    Vijay

    vrajwani@orensdailyroast.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    We are doing a Native to Native Exchange on our Reservation. We have a container of green beans coming in next week and frankly we may have ordered to many. They're fair trade, shade grown rain forest certifide and you got it organicConatct me at our sit
    http://www.OrganicCoffeeShop.us.

    ReplyDelete